Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Yellow Roses, step 4

Painting more leaves and background


Once I got some background and leaves in, I decided that I didn't really like the rose on the left with it's stupid looking petal. After searching my photos some more, I found this rose, which is really stunning.

I added a small bud setting off the larger roses. I painted more leaves...trying numerous color combinations for my greens. I have finally settled on using Gamblin's chromatic black and cadmium yellow light, producing a low-key green. Using the chromatic black is a lot safer than using ivory black, which can crack if used in large quantities. When I paint the dark leaves, there's a lot of black in the mixture.

My background is primarily ultramarine blue and burnt sienna with some splashes of cadmium red light giving it an illusion of transparency.

No comments: