Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Great-Grandma's Chair, Step 4

Stone wall and floor

Working back to front, I started on the stone wall. I have included a reference photo of the fireplace wall from which I worked. These are photos that I took at my client's home. It's beautiful stone, and I believe she said her husband had built it and done all the masonry. 

As I said in the previous post, I didn't think I needed to draw it in burnt umber, so I just put out my paints and drew the stone and painted it all at the same time.
 
Reference photo for stone wall background

 I tried to follow the shapes and colors the best I could. This picture shows the stone wall a bit cooler than I actually painted it, but that's easy to fix when I'm done with a glaze of a warm color. You can probably pick out which stones I used...mostly the ones on the left.

When I painted the cast shadows from the legs, I took quite a bit of time making sure that the edges were very soft. And when I got this far, I realized the drawing of the chair legs are a bit off, but I'll fix that later.
The stone wall and floor painted in.
 

No comments: