Monday, September 17, 2007

Shawnee Valley demonstration, Step 2

The Block-In

Shawnee Valley


The next step is to arrive at a loose value study that will be the basis for the color. I went over the lines with burnt sienna thinned with odorless mineral spirits. With a rag I wiped out the charcoal as I went along and carefully followed the lines with the diluted paint. I started at the top and worked my way down to the foreground. I shaded the larger areas with a variety of values of thinned burnt sienna. As I got closer to the foreground, I added some burnt umber to the burnt sienna for a greater value contrast.

I have made the trees and the mountains more artistic and interesting than they were in the original Shawnee Valley. I’m surprised that the painting takes on a whole new look with the addition of the foreground overlook and the pond turned into a stream.

This stage of the painting is still rough. I do not make a precise drawing where I fill in between the lines. These lines and shapes are a guide for the development of the painting. I will let it talk to me and tell me what needs to be done. The painting will develop as I work on it.

Because I will be in Annapolis for the "Paint Annapolis" event Wednesday through Sunday, the next step on Shawnee Valley will not be next Monday...maybe next Tuesday, maybe even Wednesday or as soon as I can get to it.

No comments: