Saturday, August 3, 2013

Autumn on the Canal, step 1

Since three artists and myself will be having an exhibit at Bucks County Gallery of Fine Art in New Hope, PA in October, I wanted to have some local scenes. 
 
I went there for a couple of days to gather resource material for paintings in the Bucks County area.  I did several plein air sketches and some photography where sketches weren't possible.
 
The Delaware Canal runs approximately parallel to the Delaware River as it wends it way between New Hope and Lambertville, NJ.  I was excited by the light hitting the far end of the towpath where it turns behind the trees on the left. This will be a great painting for the exhibit, once I change all the July greens into October fall colors.
 
 I will be demonstrating this painting here on my blog, and this is the burnt umber underpainting to establish my values..  I am working on Belgium linen, which I prepared and then toned with a warm gray.  


No comments: