Thursday, August 8, 2013

Autumn on the Canal, step 2

I began painting the sky using a warm white for the cloud and  combinations of pale ultramarine blue, phthalo blue, and phthalo green for the sky, carving out some starter sky holes to shape the trees. Then I moved on to the tops of the back trees with a darker bluish color. Moving forward I added bits of yellows and oranges to the mixtures to suggest more background trees. I added blue-violet to the shadows to make them recede.

I took this picture with my cell phone which shows the shadow colors under the trees much brighter blue than in reality. 

Along the edge of the canal, which will be my focal point, I added tints of orange and yellow ochre.

On the left shadow trees, I used lots of blue-violet added to greens, burnt sienna and cadmium red for the different trees. I want to make each tree a slightly different color, since the original scene is full of July greens.  These dark greens will contrast with the focal area of the canal lights.



No comments: