Saturday, August 5, 2017

Nature's Bounty, Step 4

Laying in a color foundation

As I wrote in my previous post, I had some thinking to do and some decisions to make.  First, I needed some cascading flowers, so I googled it and among hundreds of possibilities, I chose this one for inspiration. I could see just a hint of a mountain, which I liked, but I wanted more for good depth.

Inspiration for cascading flowers
 Next, I needed some mountains, and when I was in southern Germany I did a lot of photography, but the scene here was the most spectacular.  Breathtaking, actually. For those of you who are dying to know where this is, it's Burgfelden in the Swabian Albs.  Even the clouds are impressive.  So this was basically the background for my painting. It sure gives the painting depth.

Inspiration for backgrounnd

So with these two inspiring photos at hand, I combined them with the wagon and painted in the colors for a preliminary color lay-in.  You can see, I still haven't decided on the middle ground.  I want to have the wagon so that it doesn't look like it's going to fall off a cliff, but at the same time, I want to suggest that it's a part of a mountain top garden display.  

The color lay-in





No comments: