Thursday, August 10, 2017

Nature's Bounty, Step 5

Developing the colors and shapes

Starting from the top, I worked my way down refining the clouds, then the mountains and valley,
then the middle ground trees, and finally the wagon, the flowers, and the foreground. I made sure there was plenty of ultramarine blue in the background so it would recede, as colors gradually get warmer as they come forward.

I played around with the trees on the right, but I'm still not happy with them. The trees on the left still need to be refined as well.

The biggest change I made was to the foreground, where I added dirt to replace the paved concrete like it was in the original reference photo.  I didn't want it to look that commercial...I wanted it to be on a natural looking surface.  I'm still struggling with the cast shadows though.  

When I was finished for the day and stood back from the painting, all I could see was the big wagon wheel in the middle staring me in the face.  I would definitely have to do something about that.  You can also see that the wagon wheels are kind of floating in space, so I will have to take care of that too.  

Developing the painting.  

No comments: