Redrawing the drawing
Nothing is ever easy. After I had finished the drawing, I got the sneaking feeling that my "table" was sagging. I checked it with a level, and sure enough.
My "table" is rather a Rube Goldberg contraption, because my still life box wasn't deep enough to hold the violin. So I had added a thin board to extend it. Well, it has drooped so that everything is off at the bottom about an inch.
I propped up the "table" with lattice strips, see below:
I redrew almost everything from the little picture and the figurine down. So I wouldn't get confused with which lines were which, I used Torrit Grey (from Gamblin) to cover the old lines. I had toned the linen with the Torrit Grey and so it all matches, sort of.
The painting is a real mess now, with all the wiped out areas and new lines. As I paint, I'll be checking the drawing with extreme care. I'll be able to see the drawing problems as I go along...it is easier when I can see shading and lighter values to make the forms more realistic. The new finished drawing is at the top.
The next step will be to do the value underpainting.